Tour Information and Visitor Services
Welcome to the David Davis Mansion!
The full David Davis Mansion tour consists of an introductory video and a tour of the Mansion. The Mansion is open for tours Wednesdays through Saturdays, except holidays. Your experience begins with an informational video. The video begins at the top of the hour: 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, and 3. The actual tour of the Mansion begins at the bottom of each hour: 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30. If you'd like the full experience, please arrive at the top of the hour. The video is helpful, but not necessary, so if you'd like to skip it, just be here at the bottom of the hour.
Non-costumed Docents (tour guides) use artifacts and stories about the Davis family to interpret the rich social and cultural history of America's western frontier from the 1850s through the 1880s. Specific themes include servant life, domestic life and technology at the dawn of the industrial age, family history (with a focus on children), and Victorian architecture. The Mansion is a precursor of the modern homes and comfort systems that we take for granted today, and is an impressive reminder of the important role that Illinois played in the nation's history when Abraham Lincoln was President. The tour gives human shape and drama to the technological, architectural, cultural, social and aesthetic history of the Gilded Age.
* Tours are recommended for children 4th grade and up and adults
* Tours begin in the Visitor Center
* Public restrooms are available in the Visitor Center and in the building north of the barn/stable
* Free parking on site; park near the Mansion in the marked spots along the driveway or in the grassy area south of the Garden and return to the front of the property to the Visitor Center
* Access to the Mansion for persons with disabilities is limited to the following:
* Visitor Center with public restroom
* The First Floor of the Mansion is accessible IF you can negotiate the concrete steps up to the front door
Donations: Regular Tours are free, but a donation of $10/adult and $5/child is suggested
Reservations are required for groups of 10 or more during Regular Hours. Please contact the Mansion at 309-828-1084 for information.
Special Tours in Non-Business Hours (fees required):
Motor coach groups, clubs, businesses and organizations may reserve the David Davis Mansion for special tours and events when the mansion is otherwise closed. See Catered Meetings & Events Rental for more detailed information. The Visitor Center and first floor of the Mansion are accessible to persons with disabilities IF they can navigate the concrete steps to the front door of the Mansion. Reservations and payment of a fee are required.
Special Tours Fee Schedule: $10 per person, $100 minimum.
Please notify the Mansion staff at least 48 hours in advance if there are any major changes in the size of the group. To cancel your group tour, please call (309) 828-1084 at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled tour.